Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Many more things I have seen--it has been a while!

Yesterday was a day that made me question humanity a bit.  I have been promoted and am now the lead in our unit.  I also have a bigger office with a couch in it for victims to come and rest on if they have to testify, or if they are waiting for a verdict.  

Another advocate brought a cute little 9 year old girl into my office and the girl looked very sad and upset.  She plopped onto the couch and bundled up in a blanket because she was cold.  I went and made her some hot chocolate and while I was doing that, the other advocate came out and told me what the situation was.  

The girl was had been molested by a family member who was also in a gang.  She had reported the abuse to the school counselor and resource officer.  The girl's parents didn't want the case prosecuted and were forbidding her to come and testify, until the police came to their house and told them if they didn't allow her to testify, they would both be arrested.  The parents then told the officer, "We aren't going to take her or pick her up."  The officer took the girl to the courthouse all by herself--no support from her family.

She was scared to have to testify against him, and was pretty shut down.  Thankfully the therapy dog we use was available so we got the two of them connected and that helped a lot. When she had to go up to testify, even though I am not her advocate, I asked if she would like me to come up and be with her for support and she said yes.  She was PERFECT on the stand and did a great job.  
When she was finished testifying, she came back to my office and then had to wait for the officer who brought her to the courthouse to come and take her home.  

It made me sick to my stomach to think of her going back home to a place where her parents were not supportive of her at all.  The advocate got CPS involved, but I sincerely hope she heard me when I told her how strong she is, and how she did the right thing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment